The Science of Happiness at Work™
The Science of Happiness at Work™ is truly the heart and soul of what we do. Positive psychology in the workplace proves that compared to the unhappiest employees, the happiest employees:
- Are twice as productive
- Have six times more energy
- Intend to stay in the role twice as long
- Stay nearly three times as long in their job
- Spend double the time focused on what they are paid to do
- Take three times less sick leave
The iOpener Institute for People and Performance has collected data from over 50,000 respondents since 2005, and their extensive, rigorous and robust research program into The Science of Happiness at Work™ continues to grow.
They have developed two unique, meticulously researched HR Analytics tools, used to drive Organizational Effectiveness and as development tools for leaders:
- The iOpener People & Performance Questionnaire (iPPQ): is their flagship tool to help organizations, teams and individuals maximize their performance, productivity and potential
- The iOpener 360 (i360):is a high-impact leadership development tool reflects an individual’s ability through a double lens; how they behave and how this behavior affects others
The iOpener Institute for People and Performance defines The Science of Happiness at Work™:
Psychological capital is an essential part of social capital, which in turn contributes greatly to human capital. And
What’s exciting about this new science is that they have really strong data showing just how clear the financial benefits that support the Science of Happiness at Work™ are.
So what does the Science of Happiness at Work™ consist of?
Happiness at Work is driven by the 5Cs
- Contribution is the effort an individual or team makes
- Conviction is short-term motivation
- Culture is a feeling of fit at work
- Commitment is long-term engagement
- Confidence is the belief in ones’ abilities
The 5Cs form an ecosystem which works together to drive performance. When one starts to fall, the others will become unstable in turn. But when individuals, teams or organizations have high levels of all the 5Cs, coupled with Trust, Recognition, and Pride, then they will perform at their best whatever happens.
- These are supported by Trust, Recognition, and Pride
Trust, Recognition, and Pride
The 5Cs are supported by Trust, Recognition, and Pride. They correlate with each component of Happiness at Work and are fundamental building blocks of any successful organization. Here’s more about them:
- Trust in your organization flows from two sources; your colleagues and your senior leaders
- Recognition from your organization encompasses who you are, what you do and how you do it
- Pride in your organization comes from identifying with it, achieving success and being aware of your colleagues’ success too